History

1938
Voters in Spokane and Pierce Counties establish county library districts, the first in the state.

1939
Commissioners appoint first Board of Trustees; however, prosecuting attorney found 1935 enabling legislation “defective” in not providing legal basis for funding, so no actual service was established.

1942
Second successful vote to form District after new legislation enacted in 1941.

1943
District library services initiated, operating out of Spokane Public Library through contract for use of SPL branches; Margaret Grein named County Librarian.

1946
Town of Fairfield and City of Medical Lake contract with SCLD; deposit stations also open in Rockford and Spangle.

1947
Mildred Brackett named County Librarian.

1948
Building at 1604 West Riverside, in Browne’s Addition, purchased for District offices; services provided through deposit stations and bookmobile, as well as contract with Spokane Public Library.

1951
Bruce Carrick named County Librarian; bookmobile purchased and service begins; Town of Millwood voters reject measure to contract with SCLD for library service.

1955
Valley Library built at 12004 East Main as first branch and as District offices; service provided through 10 deposit stations, bookmobiles, and Spokane Public Library; Deer Park contracts for services, joining Fairfield, Medical Lake, Rockford, Spangle, and Waverly.

1960
Florence Johnson named County Librarian.

1965
Susan Barclay named Director.

1966
District voters approve full $2 million property tax levy for District operations. Cheney voters approve measure to establish library and contract with SCLD for services.

1968
The Headquarters building at 11811 East First purchased; “Rural” dropped from District name; Valley Library remodeled; Cheney branch opens in 416 First storefront; Millwood branch opens in Town Hall; Orchard Avenue branch opens in remodeled fire station at 2902 N. Park Road; North Spokane branch opens at 10503 N. Division; all deposit stations close; Town of Rockford cancels contract due to fee increase.

1970
New Fairfield Library building opens at 305 East Main.

1972
New North Spokane Library building opens at 44 East Hawthorne; Outreach Services program initiated.

1974
Medical Lake Library opened; L. David Devine named Director.

1978
Orchard Avenue Library closes combining with Millwood Library.

1979
Administrative Offices and support functions move to 2901 North Argonne and Valley Library buildings.

1980
Millwood Library closes and North Argonne Library opens; bookmobile service ends; Spokane Cooperative Library Information System (SCOLIS) formed with four area libraries; Michael Wirt named Director.

1981
Automated circulation system implemented; property in Otis Orchards acquired from East Valley School District for possible future library.

1982
Former headquarters building sold; Latah and Waverly voters approve annexation to District.

1983
District voters approve lifting 106% levy lid, with additional funds to be used for facility expansion; Cheney and Medical Lake voters approve annexation to District.

1984
Latah and Waverly annexations effective.

1985
Cheney and Medical Lake annexations effective.

1986
Valley Library major expansion and remodeling completed, more than doubling size of building; Cheney voters approve bond issue for new library building.

1987
City of Cheney receives Library Services & Construction Act matching grant for new library building.

1988
District voters approve $4.975 million bond issue proposal for capital improvements in March 15 election; new Cheney Community Library building opens at 610 First; SCOLIS formed into consortium.

1989
Automated circulation system upgraded and expanded; Eastern Washington University withdraws from SCOLIS consortium; groundbreaking held for North Spokane Library expansion; Medical Lake voters approve bond issue for new library building.

1990
North Spokane Library expansion completed, tripling size of building; first service contract with Airway Heights; Argonne Library/Support Services Center built and opened; North Argonne Library’s name shortened to Argonne Library; computer catalogs installed at Airway Heights, Valley, and Argonne Libraries; City of Medical Lake receives Library Services and Construction Act matching grant for new library building.

1991
Medical Lake Library built and opened at 321 East Herb; new Otis Orchards Library built; Deer Park Library expands its space in City Hall; computer catalogs installed in remainder of District libraries.

1992
New Otis Orchards Library opens at 22324 East Wellesley; voters approve levy lid override proposition to maintain levy rate in September 15 election.

1994
Spokane Public Library withdraws from SCOLIS consortium.

1995
Reciprocal use with Spokane Public Library ends: SPL begins requiring non-resident library card fee for District residents and District for adult City of Spokane residents; majority of voters approve $7.66 million bond proposal for capital improvements, but issue didn’t receive required 60% and validation in September election.

1996
District voters approve $7.66 million bond issue proposal in February 6 election; Millwood voters approve annexation to the District; book return opens in Moran Prairie-Glenrose area.

1997
New Airway Heights Library opens at 1213 S. Lundstrom; expanded and remodeled Cheney Library opens; Administrative Offices remodeled; new library automation system installed.

1998
New Deer Park Library opens at 208 South Forest; Valley library renovated; new services include in-library public Internet access, dial-in catalog access, and SCLD website.

1999
Renovated and expanded Fairfield Library opens; SCLD website redesigned and expanded.

2000
New Moran Prairie storefront branch opens at 3022 East 57th in Cedar Canyon Village shopping center; property purchased for future Moran Prairie branch building; 2001-2003 Strategic Plan adopted; dial-in catalog access discontinued.

2001
Deer Park and Fairfield voters approve annexation to the District; new City of Liberty Lake approved library service contract with the District; mailing service for requested materials discontinued; computer booking and time control system, with filtering options for minors, implemented.

2002
New integrated library system software installed; workstations with office, reference and educational software installed in all branches through Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant; reciprocal use agreement with Spokane Public Library approved; first Spokane Is Reading event.

2003
Spokane Public Library reciprocal use agreement takes effect; 2004-2006 Strategic Plan adopted; Moran & Glenrose Prairie voters approve Library Capital Facility Area formation and bonds for new library; Valley Library first floor reconfigured; City of Liberty Lake terminates library services contract for 2004.

2004
SCLD awarded 5-year City of Spokane Valley library services contract in RFP process; City of Spokane Valley library capital facilities plan developed; began installation of self-checkout and self-holds pickup; initiated regular adult programming and computer instruction classes.

2005
City of Spokane Valley voters approve annexation to the District, effective in 2006; new Moran Prairie Library groundbreaking; website redesigned; Valley Library name changed to Spokane Valley Library.

2006
New Moran Prairie branch opens, the first of District branches with Wi-Fi; voters approve a levy lid lift in September election; outreach services become branch-based.

2007
61 new open hours added, including Sundays for five branches; launched downloadable audiobooks; computer network bandwidth increases; adopted Balanced Scorecard for future strategic planning; introduced “Look Inside” tagline; purchased Conklin Road property in Veradale/Greenacres area as future library site.

2008
Greater Spokane Valley LCFA and bond election fails; participate in first NEA’s The Big Read; library cards redesigned; Spangle annexes to District; purchased Hastings Road property as new library site.

2009
New online services introduced including Tutor.com and TumbleBooks; Playaway readers added to collection; work begins on the 20-year Library Facilities Master Plan.

2010
Maintenance and operations levy lid lift receives 55% voter approval; Board approves 20-year Library Facilities Master Plan; new online services introduced include downloadable eBooks and music, Text a Librarian, and Library Thing.

2011
Property purchased for future Administrative Offices expansion; begin accepting online payments; e-books become available for Kindle; overdue fees raised for the first time in 14 years; Airway Heights city council rejects advisory committee recommendation to annex to SCLD; Book-a-Librarian service begins; mobile version of website and mobile apps launched.

2012
Mike Wirt Retired. Nancy Ledeboer appointed as Executive Director. Expanded hours at Medical Lake and Airway Heights from 3 days to 4 days a week. Purchased Sprague Avenue property in partnership with the City of Spokane Valley as site for a future library and park.

2014
Greater Spokane Valley Library Capital Facility Area (SVLCFA) and bond put before voters. Formation of SVLCFA is successful, however, bond attempt fails.